By CrossRiverWatch Admin
A Magistrate Court sitting in Calabar and presided over by Mrs. Mercy Ene has discharged businessman, Denis Odama after the prosecutors withdrew the holding charge filed against him for bullying Governor Bassey Otu of Cross River State online.
The discharge followed the application made by the prosecution, led by F. O. Okoi Esq who said the nominal complainant had forgiven the defendant.
“I have the directives of the applicant to withdraw this application,” Okoi said.
CrossRiverWatch had earlier reported that Governor Otu has directed the Attorney General to ensure the proceedings are discontinued.
And, Okoi told the Court that the directive to discontinue is, “due to some intervening factors and well meaning citizens who have approached the nominal complainant.
“The nominal complainant has decided to forgive the respondent.
“Therefore we withdraw this application and ask the Court to strike it out and let the defendant be discharged.”
READ: Police Arrest Cross River Businessman In Lagos, Says He “Bullied Gov. Otu Online”
Responding, K. Udam Esq who led the defense team comprising of Dr. S. A Akpanke Esq, K. O. Tiku Esq and Dr. F. I. Ahakiri Esq, told the Court that they will not be objecting.
“We will not be opposing the application by the prosecution,” Udam, who held the brief of Kyrian Omang Esq said.
He continued: “In fact we thank the wisdom of the prosecution.
“In fact I borrow the saying that it is better for 99 criminals to walk free than for an innocent man to be locked up.”
Similarly, Festus Eze Esq., who was watching the brief of the Human Rights Committee of the Calabar Branch of the Nigerian Bar Association also commended the actions by the prosecution.
“It is the law that the prosecution has the right to withdraw and discontinue at any time.
“It is a good omen for the development of the State,” he said and extended the appreciation of the Chairman of the NBA Human Rights Committee, Calabar Branch.
JUST IN: Police Secretly Move Businessman Arrested For ‘Bullying Governor Otu Online’
“Naturally, everything that has a beginning will have an end,” he added.
Delivering her ruling, Mrs. Ene said commended the nominal complainants decision quoting Matthew Chapter 5 versus 9 which speaks about those who make peace and are considered the Children of God.
The Court said it was also minded to grant the application of the prosecution, “considering the negative momentum that has gathered on social media.”
The Court held that this was also important considering the fact that the State has a Christ like disposition and commended “those who are, and are willing to toe the path of peace.”
The Court urged all to “embrace the olive branch,” and prayed “God’s spirit to guide.”
“The suit number MC/MSC/413/2026 is accordingly struck out and the defendant is hereby discharged. This is the order of the Court,” the Court ordered.
Mr. Odama was arrested in Lagos at his Car stand on Monday, August 10th 2026.
He was detained and eventually flown to Calabar on Thursday of the same week where the Court day at about 3:00PM and ordered his remand for seven days.
At the adjourned date on Wednesday, August 19th, the prosecution had failed to file a substantive charge.
However, after the motion for the bail was moved again, the Court adjourned until Thursday for ruling.
By Wednesday night, the Governor shared on Facebook his directive got the case to be withdrawn.
READ ALSO: BREAKING: Governor Otu Orders Immediate Release Of Dennis Odama
Meanwhile, outside the Court room, friends, associates, rights activists and the Deputy Governorship Candidate Of the People’s Democratic Party in the 2027 General Elections, Alphonsus Ogar Eba Esq kept jubilating and singing freedom songs
Short Link:
Leave feedback about this