by crossriverwatch admin
The embattled Paramount ruler of Calabar South Local Government Area of Cross River State, Muri Munene Effiong Mbukpa, on Thursday raised the alarm over alleged attempt by some unscrupulous elements to raid the palace for a second time and also extend same to his personal residence.
Mbukpa, who is the leader of Efut nation, had been operating from his personal residence following the sealing up of the palace by government after some suspected dissidents chased him out in May 2012.
However, Mbukpa, who was traditionally proclaimed the Muri Munene on November 16, 2009 by the Efut Combined Assembly and had been performing the function of paramount ruler, had been faced with controversy since September 21, 2012.
Crossriverwatch gathered that a highly placed government official sponsored another selection process and picked Prof. Hogan Itam, as the new monarch.
Kingmakers of Efut nation had swiftly rejected the move to impose a paramount ruler on Calabar South even when reigning monarch, Mbukpa, was still on the throne.
But speaking Thursday with our reporter on the alleged move to raid the palace for the second time, Mbukpa said he gathered from his personal intelligence report that some persons have recruited mercenaries to forcefully open the closed palace.
He said the move will come in form of a rally calling on the state government to give staff of office to Prof. Hogan Itam.
Mbukpa said, “Acting on intelligence report, I gathered that they had recruited mercenaries from within and outside the state to forcefully open the palace and further march to my house on the pretense of peaceful rally.”
The monarch said his source warned him to be careful that was why he had to inform the state government of the report.
“My source told me to be careful that they had perfected the moves. I have sent an SMS to all security agencies because they are asking the deputy governor, who is now acting as the governor, Mr. Efiok Cobham, to recognize Itam notwithstanding the numerous court injunctions,” he said.
In a press statement endorsed by the State Security Adviser, Mr. Rekpene Bassey, it was acknowledged that government and security agencies had been informed that certain individuals involved in the Muri Munene throne dispute intend to employ the use of force to break open and gain entry into the palace.
Bassey said, “Needless to say, government has no interest in the matter order than to ensure its eventual peaceful resolution and the general peace and security in Calabar South where the palace is situated for which it was sealed by government in the first instance.
“For avoidance of doubt, security authorities have been briefed to deal decisively with any person or group of persons who violate government orders in this regards.”
Since You Are Here, Support Good Journalism
CrossRiverWatch was founded on the ideals of deploying tech tools to report in an ethical manner, news, views and analysis with a narrative that ensures transparency in governance, a good society and an accountable democracy.
Everyone appreciates good journalism but it costs a lot of money. Nonetheless, it cannot be sacrificed on the altar of news commercialisation.
Consider making a modest contribution to support CrossRiverWatch's journalism of credibility and integrity in order to ensure that all have continuous free access to our noble endeavor.