by crossriverwatch admin
The Member Representing Abi in the Cross River State House of Assembly, Hon. John Gaul Lebo on Wednesday, November 7, launched the Abi Community Scholarship programme.
The event also witnessed the inauguaration of a five member scholarship working committee comprising, Professor Joe Asor- Chairman, Mrs. Chukwuka Icha – Secretary, Professor Benjamin Inyang, Professor Imelda Udoh, Dr. Ideba Ele.
The scheme is expected to be a yearly scholarship for at least 30 students of higher institutions and 50 students of Junior secondary schools of Abi origin under the Abi Educational Discovery programme.
According to the terms of reference, the committee was tasked to:
1. Request and receive applications from students of all higher institutions of Abi origin each year
2. Process by screening and interview all applications and recommend successful candidates for the award
3. Formulate the criteria for award of the scholarship
4. Prepare and present the successful candidates for the award
5. Identify candidates with special skills and knowledge for special consideration
6. Ensure Gender equilibrium in the award
7. Maintain a reliable database of Abi students
8. Advise the member on any other educational initiative desirable.
The event was chaired by the wife of the Governor of Cross River State, Mrs. Obioma Liyel Imoke. She was supported by the wife of the Deputy Governor, The Speaker of the State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. John Odey and his wife, The Deputy Speaker and The Chairman, House Committee on Appropriation.
Since You Are Here, Support Good Journalism
CrossRiverWatch was founded on the ideals of deploying tech tools to report in an ethical manner, news, views and analysis with a narrative that ensures transparency in governance, a good society and an accountable democracy.
Everyone appreciates good journalism but it costs a lot of money. Nonetheless, it cannot be sacrificed on the altar of news commercialisation.
Consider making a modest contribution to support CrossRiverWatch's journalism of credibility and integrity in order to ensure that all have continuous free access to our noble endeavor.