By CrossRiverWatch Admin
A well established, highly capitalized integrated cotton production Company is seeking the services of an experienced, innovative and highly motivated Manager to oversee its operations. The Farm Manager shall report to the Managing Director and shall double as the Chief Operating Officer of the outfit in Cross River State.
As Farm Manager you will:
- Handle day-to-day management with the highest sense of governance and training of operational staff of the Company;
- Plan and plant the farm’s arable crops in an efficient and strategic manner;
- Manage all crop production programmes, such as the spraying programme, and ensure their timely execution;
- Setting up an out-grower scheme, supporting the sustainable and durable growing of crops in other local farms;
- Increase the farm’s profitable yield and reducing the loss of finance and crops;
- Running the seed multiplication program;
- Ensuring linkages to the market and zero tolerance to post harvest losses;
The Farm Manager shall also:
- Direct and coordinate worker activities, such as planting, irrigation, chemical application, harvesting, grading, payroll, and recordkeeping;
- Contract with farmers or independent owners for raising of crops or for management of crop production;
- Coordinate growing activities with those of engineering, equipment maintenance, packing houses, and other related departments;
- Analyze market conditions to determine acreage allocations;
- Confer with purchasers and arranges for sale of crops;
Records information, such as production, farm management practices, and parent stock, and prepares financial and operational reports;
- Determine procedural changes in drying, grading, storage, and shipment for greater
efficiency and accuracy;
- Analyze soil to determine type and quantity of fertilizer required for maximum production;
- Inspect equipment to ensure proper functioning;
- Inspect crops and fields to determine maturity dates of crops or to estimate potential crop damage from weather;
- Plan and directs development and production of hybrid plant varieties with high yield or
disease and insect resistant characteristics;
- Purchase machinery, equipment, and supplies, such as tractors, seed, fertilizer, and
- Hire, discharge, transfer, and promote workers, enforce safety regulations, and
interpret policies; and,
- Negotiate with bank officials to obtain credit from bank; and,
evaluate financial statements and make budget proposals.
The successful candidate will:
- Have 5 years of experience working with large scale arable farming and its management in the sub region
- Have previous experience in the country
- Have advanced knowledge of creating and maintaining an arable operation’s irrigation system
- be a hands-on farm manager with the ability to plan ahead
- Have experience and agronomic skills surrounding soils.
- Ideally been involved with out-grower schemes before
- Preferably educated to a degree level – Agronomy, Agricultural Sciences, Business Management, Agricultural Economics or in any related field
This is an opportunity to work in a diverse & multi-cultural environment for a greenfield Company, which has massive growth potential in the region. The Farm Manager will enjoy a competitive salary package.
Mode of Application:
Interested applicants should forward seven (7) copies of their CVs and maximum of 2-page capability statement to The Special Adviser, Revenue & Accounts Matters, Plot 38, MCC Road, Calabar. Cross River State not later than 12:00noon on Friday, August 26, 2016. Electronic submissions shall not be accepted.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Since You Are Here, Support Good Journalism
CrossRiverWatch was founded on the ideals of deploying tech tools to report in an ethical manner, news, views and analysis with a narrative that ensures transparency in governance, a good society and an accountable democracy.
Everyone appreciates good journalism but it costs a lot of money. Nonetheless, it cannot be sacrificed on the altar of news commercialisation.
Consider making a modest contribution to support CrossRiverWatch's journalism of credibility and integrity in order to ensure that all have continuous free access to our noble endeavor.