By CrossRiverWatch Admin
A Greenfield Company with interest in value chain rice production in Cross River State is seeking the services of a Farm Manager to function as the Chief Operating Officer with direct reporting lines to the Managing Director.
The Farm Manager will:
- Strategically plan the farm’s yearly activities to ensure optimum yield;
- Ensure all matters of an administrative nature are efficiently and promptly carried out;
- Co-ordinate the day-to-day management with the highest sense of governance and training of operation staff of the Company;
- Identify and ensure manual selection of good yielding seeds;
- Run the seed multiplication program;
- Manage all crop production programs, such as the spraying program, and ensure their timely execution;
- Set up an out-grower scheme, supporting the sustainable and durable growing of crops in other local farms;
- Increase the farm’s profitable yield and reduce the loss of finance and crops; and
- Ensure linkages to the market and zero tolerance to post harvest losses;
The Farm Manager shall also:
- Have skills for Rice Farm Management, People Management and Safety Standards associated with large scale rice farming in the sub region;
- Coordinate and train worker’s activities, such as planting, irrigation, chemical application, harvesting, grading, payroll, and recordkeeping;
- Make budget proposals in line with the strategic direction of the farm policy.
- Organize growing activities with those of engineering, equipment maintenance, packing houses, and other related Departments;
- Contract with farmers or independent owners for raising of crops or for management of crop production;
- Analyze market conditions to determine acreage allocations;
- Confer with purchasers and arranges for sale of crops;
Records information, such as production, farm management practices, and parent stock, and prepares financial and operational reports;
- Determine procedural changes in drying, grading, storage, and shipment for greater
efficiency and accuracy;
- Analyze soil to determine type and quantity of fertilizer required for maximum production;
- Take stock of crops and fields to determine maturity dates of crops or to estimate potential crop damage from weather;
- Ensure periodic inspection of equipment to ensure proper functioning;
- Plan and directs development and production of hybrid plant varieties with high yield or
disease and insect resistant characteristics;
- Procurement of machinery, equipments, and supplies, such as tractors, seed, fertilizer, and chemicals;
- Recruit, discharge, transfer, promote workers and ensure disciplinary actions are maintained;
- Ensure safety and security of personnel and equipments;
- enforce safety regulations and
interpret policies; and,
- Organize and preside monthly meetings with sub management team.
The successful candidate will:
- Have to a degree in Agronomy, Agricultural Sciences, Business Management, Agricultural Economics or in any related field;
- Have 5 years of experience working with large scale arable farming and its management in the sub region;
- Have previous experience in the country;
- Have advanced knowledge of creating and maintaining an arable operation’s irrigation system;
- Be a hands-on farm manager with the ability to plan ahead;
- Have experience and agronomic skills surrounding soils; and
- Ideally been involved with out-grower schemes before.
This is an opportunity to work in a diverse & multi-cultural environment for a Greenfield Company, which has massive growth potentials in the region. The Farm Manager will enjoy a competitive salary package.
Mode of Application:
Interested applicants should forward seven (7) copies of their CVs and maximum of 2-page capability statement to The Special Adviser, Revenue & Accounts Matters, Plot 38, MCC Road, Calabar, Cross River State, not later than 12:00noon on Friday, August 26, 2016. Electronic submissions shall not be accepted, please.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Since You Are Here, Support Good Journalism
CrossRiverWatch was founded on the ideals of deploying tech tools to report in an ethical manner, news, views and analysis with a narrative that ensures transparency in governance, a good society and an accountable democracy.
Everyone appreciates good journalism but it costs a lot of money. Nonetheless, it cannot be sacrificed on the altar of news commercialisation.
Consider making a modest contribution to support CrossRiverWatch's journalism of credibility and integrity in order to ensure that all have continuous free access to our noble endeavor.