By Jonathan Ugbal – News Editor
The Cross River State Independent Electoral Commission (CROSIEC) has announced results for 10 out of 18 Chairmanship results in the just concluded Local Council elections.
The Chairman of the commission, Mike Ushie says more results are awaited and is expected to resume announcements by 6:00PM today.
The results announced on Sunday afternoon are:
1. Akamkpa local government area. The People’s Democratic Party’s(PDP) Linus Bassey Etim was the only contestant and emerged winner with 50,422 votes. The party also won all councilorship seats.
2. Akpabuyo local government area. PDP’s Emmanuel Offiong Bassey emerged winner with 34,618 votes after beating his only rival of the All Progressives Congress (APC) who polled 2,005 votes. The PDP also won all the councilorship positions.
3. Bakassi local government area. Iyadim Amboni of the PDP won with 7,674 votes with the APC polling 280 votes while, Labour Party (LP), Young Progressive Party (YPP) and New Nigerian People’s Party (NNPP) scored 75, 49 and 31 voted respectively. Dr. Raphael Offiong was the returning officer.
4. Calabar Municipal local government area. Eke Effiong Nta of the PDP scored 31,183 votes to beat his rivals, Eleng Maurice Bassey and Bassey Okon Bassey who polled 315 and 1,545 votes respectively. The PDP swept the councilorship positions too.
5. Calabar South local government area. Esther Edet Bassey of the PDP emerged winner with 49,347 votes. The party also won all councilorship positions.
6. Etung local government area. PDP’s Etuk John Nkong of the PDP polled 36,694 to beat his APC rival who scored 413 votes. His party also won councilorship positions in all 10 wards.
7. Ikom local government area.Egumi Kingsley Nangbe of the PDP won with 48,169 votes. His party won all councilorship seats too.
8. Obubra local government area. Bassey Agara Tom of the PDP polled 75,082 votes to win the APC’s candidate who polled 315 votes. The PDP swept all councilorship positions.
9. Odukpani local government area. Justin Joseph Edim of the PDP was returned unopposed having polled 33,208 votes. The PDP also won all councilorship seats.
10. Yakurr local government area. PDP’s Obeten Ofem Ebri of the PDP polled 70,399 votes to emerge winner. The APC polled 833 votes. The PDP also won all councilorship positions.
Since You Are Here, Support Good Journalism
CrossRiverWatch was founded on the ideals of deploying tech tools to report in an ethical manner, news, views and analysis with a narrative that ensures transparency in governance, a good society and an accountable democracy.
Everyone appreciates good journalism but it costs a lot of money. Nonetheless, it cannot be sacrificed on the altar of news commercialisation.
Consider making a modest contribution to support CrossRiverWatch's journalism of credibility and integrity in order to ensure that all have continuous free access to our noble endeavor.